Sheffield Independent – Tuesday 21 December 1937
Finding that his house was filling with smoke, Sam Blackburn (73), who lives alone at 26 Wombwell Main Cottages, ran into his son’s house next door, yesterday, and gave the alarm.
Wombwell Fire Brigade, under Captain A. Davison, arrived within six minutes, to find that there was an outbreak in the cockloft, the overheated chimney breast having set woodwork alight.
Firemen tackled the blaze successfully with chemical extinguishers.
The outbreak caused alarm, as the house is in a row of ten near Wombwell Main Colliery.