Mexborough and Swinton Times, October 7, 1939
Miss Joyce Yates, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Yates, of Brampton Bierlow, was married at Wath St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church on Saturday to Mr. Bernard Francis Bownas, only son of Mr. W. A. Bownas, secretary to Wath Main Colliery Co., Ltd., and the late Mrs. Bownas, of Sandygate, Wath-on-Dearne.
The Rev. Father W. Donkers, Rural Dean, officiated.
The bride, given away by her father, wore a lilac frock with matching hip-length coat, and black accessories, and carried a shower bouquet of pink carnations. She was attended by Miss Betty Bownas, Miss Freda Bownas and Miss Lena Yates. Miss Freda Bownas and Miss Yates were in grey suits with dark accessories, and Miss Betty Bownas in a dusky Princess style frock, with matching turban, and brown accessories. Miss Freda Bownas and Miss Yates each had a spray of pink roses. and Miss Betty Bownas a spray of lilies of the valley.
Each received a bracelet from the bridegroom. The best man was Mr. Donald W. Fisher, of Sheffield, and the groomsman Mr. Stanley Lawton, of Mexborough. Nuptial Mass was celebrated after the ceremony.
A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents. The bride’s mother wore a dark blue full-length coat and hat, with floral dress to match, and a spray of cream roses. The honeymoon is being spent in Derbyshire, the bride travelling in a navy costume with matching accessories, and plaid stroller coat