South Yorkshire Times January 4 1947
To Carry on Public Work
Retired Councillor PB Nicholson, J.P. will be as busy as ever.
The retirement of Mr Philip Brady Nicholson, J.P., of Brampton from the position of manager of Cortonwood Colliery Coke Ovens will fortunately mean no cessation of his manifold public duties.
This public work has extended 35 years from the initial membership of Thrybergh Parish Council in 1912 to his parliamentary candidature in the Wentworth Division in 1926, his 26 years membership of Wath Urban Council and his invaluable services for education and public health.
In addition his wise counsel are being widely sought in professional circles and the coke oven industry generally.
Councillor Nicholson who served up Thrybergh for three years, and was also an overseer of the poor there, entered public life two years after he came to South Yorkshire as assistant manager of the byproduct plant at Sherwood Colliery.
In 1916 he became a member of Brampton Bierlow Parish Council, with which he was associated for four years before commencing a membership of Wath Urban Council which has continued uninterrupted since 1920.
For the nursing profession of the hospital service councillor Nicholson has raised a valiant battle. He first became a member of the Wath, Swinton and District Hospital Board in 1922 and served as chairman on three separate occasions.
During his first chairmanship the hospital was enlarged and he strongly supported the proposal which resulted in increasing the hospital’s population area to 88,000 by the inclusion of two further urban authorities.