South Yorkshire Times June 8, 1957
Mr J.H P. Upton M B E
Now Secretary Of The Wellcome Foundation
Mr. J. H. Peter Upton, M.B.E. (35), formerly of Wombwell and now of Murray Crescent, Pinner, Middlesex, has been appointed secretary of the Wellcome Foundation Limited with effect from July 1st, 1957. The Wellcome Foundation, better-known under its trading name of Burroughs Wellcome and Company, is one of the largest firms of pharmaceutical manufacturers in this country, and also has subsidiaries and branches in many parts of the world.
A unique feature of the organisation is that its entire £.3,000,000 share capital is held by the Wellcome Trust to which all dividends ising from the Company’s trading activities are paid. These monies are used in accordance with the will of Sir Henry Wellcome for the furtherance of medical and scientific research throughout the world. The offices of the Foundation are in’ Euston Road, London.
Mr. Upton went to King Edward VII School, Sheffield, from Hemingfield Ellis Church of England School, where he won a County Minor Scholarship. He proceeded to Sheffield University where he secured an honours degree in Law. He had been articled with Mr. W. inter. of Barnsley.
Before graduating he went straight from the University into the Army, attained the rank of Major, and was in action with the Reconnaissance Regiment at the Normandy landings. He served in France, Holland and Germany until the end of hostilities and was warded the M.B.E.
After graduating he served for a time on the law school tutorial staff of Messrs. Gibson and Weldon. of Guildford, and later was for three years In the legal department of Pilkington Brothers, St. Helens. Lancashire. He joined the Wellcome Foundation in 1953 and has previously held appointment as assistant secretary and solicitor.
Mr. Upton, who married Miss Jean McAuley Brown, of Beauchief, Sheffield, a graduate of Sheffield University, is elder son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Upton, of 123, Hough Lane Wombwell. They have three children—a girl and two boys.