Home Sports Football Midland League Results – January 7th

Midland League Results – January 7th

7 January 1929

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 07 January 1929

Midland League.

When Referee Checked Ball at Grimsby.

Goal Creates Scene.

The Midland League provided many keen matches on Saturday. In fewer than five games the odd goal decided the issue, while in three other cases honours were even.

The sending off of a player marred the game between Grimsby Town Reserves and Grantham. The player was Waterall, the Grantham centre-half, and the incident occurred in the second half, soon after Grimsby had drawn level. The game itself was one in which the wind played great part, and in the first half, while enjoying its advantage, Grantham had given the home, defence a warm time. The interval came with a score two goals to one against the home team. The equaliser came in a curious way. The ball, after being played by a Grimsby player, was going out play, but was checked by striking the referee. As rebounded off the man with the whistle Twell let drive and sent it into the net. The goal apparently incensed the Grantham men, who swarmed round the referee, and some moments elapsed before it was restarted. Following this there was much rough play the, part visitors, which ultimately led to Waterall being sent off. One bright feature the game was the splendid work of Walker in the Grantham goal. Sillito and Spavin scored for Grantham, and Twell scored both the Grimsby goals.

Before a thin attendance, Millmoor, Rotherham United defeated Wombwell 5-3. The visitors were very persistent, but their finishing was weak, and Brannan in the Wombwell goal, had more difficult shots to save than Atter. Mountney, Dawson, and Parkin scored for Rotherham in the first half, and Staniland (A.) and Pardon for the visitors. After the interval Parkin and Davis added goals for Rotherham and Pardon for Wombwell.

Leaders Prevail at Chesterfield.

Nottingham Forest Reserves had only their forwards to blame for losing at Doncaster, for, side, they were much superior to the young Rovers, whose half backs could not hold the fast moving Notts attack. Capable work in midfield, however, went for nought when in front of goal. The shooting came from the halves, Wallace being always dangerous, but Wilkinson was very safe and cool in goal, and both Smith and Milne put up a robust defence. The only goal came in the first half, Holmes scoring ten minutes after the start, but afterwards both sides missed chances. Forest had fine halfback line.

Wintry weather marred the attendance for the visit of Lincoln City Reserves, the league leaders, to Chesterfield Reserves, and the ground was slippery, Lincoln had slightly the better of a closely contested game, winning by the only goal, and being only the second team to take both points away from Saltergate. Clipson scored midway in the opening half. Chesterfield were not without chances, but their weak shooting was easily dealt with by unrelenting backs and clever ’keeper in Kendall.

Before 2.000 spectators, Mexborough Athletic (at home) and Gainsborough Trinity drew 2—2. Briggs appeared at outside-right for Mexborough, who fell in arrears when a shot from Laurie diverted Vollans into the home goal. Mexborough equalised through Tilbrook and gained the lead through Shaw, who, after twice, striking the Trinity crossbar, scored the third attempt. Trinity equalised somewhat luckily. Senior turning the greasy ball into his own goal. Play in the second half slowed down, and the defences were superior to the attacks. For Mexborough. Vollans and the brothers Higginbottom-Hawkins did good service, and for Trinity Laurie and Keating formed a threatening right wing.

Shocks for Scarborough.

Scarborough were much the better side against Boston, at Scarborough, Saturday, and on the run of the play deserved to win more easily than 3—2. Slackness in their defence in the last quarter hour enabled Boston to secure a couple of goals and eventually the home side were hard pressed to hold their lead. Clayson, Gibbs, and Jones scored for Scarborough, and Hoyland and Jenkinson for the visitors, who were well served Levick at centre-half.

Wath sprang a surprise by defeating Frickley 1-0 at South Elmsall on Saturday, for when the teams met a week previously Frickley won 5—2. Frickley were evidently feeling the strain of their heavy holiday programme, for they gave a dispirited display, whereas Wath were a lively team, forwards showing rare opportunism. Skeels crowned a brilliant performance by scoring for five minutes before the interval. The Wath goalkeeper was in fine form, and the backs, Bratley and Wheatley, were sound. Bromage gave a splendid display in the Frickley goal, and Price was sound at right back.

Worksop, playing at home, could only blame themselves for the loss two further points as they had the better of Denaby United during the greater part of the game but failed to turn their superiority to advantage. The football was a rather dull order until the second half when Worksop lost Downes, injured, and Denaby got hold the game. Robinson had previously hit the cross-bar with a penalty kick for Worksop, who were good in midfield, but failed badly in front of goal and it remained for Greene to give Denaby the with a good header.

Scientific Display.

A well-contested game was seen at Loughborough, the only goal of the match being scored Lacey, of York City. The visitors deserved their win, they played scientific football against the more robust methods of Loughborough. The York forwards, well led by Lacey, were nicely balanced and the defence excellent.

By their second half superiority Newark deserved their 4—-1 home win over Shirebrook. The first half was even, with both goalkeepers making remarkable saves when all looked lost. The only goal of the first half came Newark, through C. Evans, Subsequently Evans again netted, and Miller replied for Shirebrook. Keetley and Hoddinott added to the home lead. Both sides lost easy openings in the closing stages.

Mansfield Town got back to winning form on Saturday and Scunthorpe United were unlucky to catch them the top their form. They have not played better football this season, and although they won easily 5—0, but for fine exhibition of goalkeeping by Watson, they might have got a double figure score. Webb and Allen made a capital wing for the Lincolnshire team. Morris (2), McLachlan (2) and McKenna scored for Mansfield.