Home Sports Football Midland League Results – February 25, 1929

Midland League Results – February 25, 1929

25 February 1929

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 25 February 1929

Midland League.

Leaders Lose at Home to Grantham.

Six Goals by York Man,

Home clubs had pretty much their own wav the Midland League engagements on Saturday, obtaining all the points but four. The two visiting dubs to win were Grantham (at Lincoln) and Mansfield (at Wombwell).

As a result. Mansfield drew nearer the leaders, Lincoln City Reserves, whose first reverse it was, since January 22nd. Grantham, it should be noted, is the only club take all four points from the Reserves.

Grantham Town’s, clover and forceful play, deserved their 4—2 victory, the presence of nearly 4,500 people. Opening strongly, they went ahead in 25 minutes, Sullivan storing. Campbell and Maidment, however, replied for Lincoln. The fortunes the game fluctuated rapidly, and Sullivan equalised before the interval. In the second half the visitors were very aggressive, and were easily the belter side. Sam Taylor, the former Wednesday forward, added two further goals.

Mansfield Outstay Wombwell

The Wombwell-Mansfield Town match was one of the most exciting seen on the Hough Lane ground this season. Wombwell showed great determination, and the prospect of being able to get Mansfield down inspired them to great things in the second half. Superior training told its inevitable tale in the end,  however, and during the last twenty minutes Wombwell were spent force. The first half was keenly contested, and Kerry and Cook scored for Mansfield and Pardon (two) for Wombwell who got the lead for the first time in the early stages of the second half. Pardon scoring again to record a “hat trick,” Then Mansfield went rapidly ahead, goals being obtained Kaye, McLachlan and Staniforth. Staniforth and Cook were outstanding on the Mansfield side. Pardon, Truswell and Staniland (J. W.) were prominent for Wombwell.

Boston easily beat Wath Athletic 4—1, being the superior team in every department. F. Moore scored early on for Wath. but Levick equalised from Earl’s centre. Hoyland, Craven, and Earle added further goals for Boston, who would have increased their score but for the fine work of Whittaker in the Wath goal. Earle and Stephenson played well in the Boston attack.

Gainsborough Trinity fully deserved their win over Grimsby Town Reserves at the Northolme. With less experienced goalkeeper than Poskitt, Grimsby would have lost much bigger margin. He had a very busy afternoon. The game was fast and exciting, and Gainsborough’s re-arranged forward line, with Keating, the ex-Lincoln man at outside right. with Clark as his partner, worked well. It was one of Gainsborough’s boat displays of the season. Shaw (two) and Smith scored for Trinity, and Twell and Hair for the visitors.

Curran’s Successful Return.

The most gratifying feature of Barnsley Reserves’ 6—2 victory over Rotherham United Reserves at Oakwell was the excellent display of “Jimmy” Curran, who made his first appearance of the season. Three of the goals came from his centres, and he delighted the spectators by scoring Barnsley’s sixth goal with a characteristic drive. Storer made him an excellent partner, and with Clears and Malkin forming strong left wing Rotherham’s defence had worrying time. Meats accomplished the “hat trick,” and the other Barnsley goal-getters were Storer and Swift, who played a bustling game centre forward. Pears and Bottrill scored for Rotherham, who were well served by Davies, Road, Mountney, and Alter, who kept goal very cleverly.

Loughborough Corinthians beat Denaby United by a goal scored by Murdin in the first half, when Denabv could not settle down. They had a pair of robust backs in Finney and Shenton, and Speight did well in goal. The best man in the forward line was Jenkins, at outside-right.

Scunthorpe United have reputation this season of turning the tables on their opponents in the second half, and this they did on Saturday, when, after being goal down against the Forest Reserves, they played really well. It was more like a Cup-tie than League match. Maw equalised Thompson’s goal after 16 minutes, then put them ahead with glorious goal, and Smith, the new centre-forward from Exeter City, headed third. Norman Smith, by the way, reached Exeter via Scarborough and Sheffield W York’s Prolific Scorer.

York City beat Worksop Town by 8—2 before fully 5,000 spectators. Cooling gave Worksop an early lead in some fast exchanges, but afterwards there were only spasmodic raids by the visitors, who were outclassed. The York attack was in grand form. Fenoughty and Cowie (three) scored for York before the interval, and did so again in the second half. Allison reduced the lead for Worksop. Cowie played brilliant game for York, and be fully deserved his six goals. He has now scored 39 this season, 32 being in Midland League games.

Scarborough were full value for their 4—1 victory over Doncaster Rovers Reserves, and only Farmery’s fine goalkeeping prevented a much bigger win. Clayson, the Scarborough centre-forward, kept up his scoring form getting a couple of clever goals. Jones and Jukes were the other home scorers, Jukes’s goal being the first he has scored in the Midland League this season. Holmes scored Doncaster’s only goal. Collins, the Scarborough goalkeeper, saved finely a penalty taken Wilkinson.

Shirebrook deservedly beat Frickley 2—1 at Shirebrook. Frickley were very persistent, but Wainwright, in the home goal, atoned for early mistake effecting several smart clearances. Bromage was equally agile the other end, and but for his excellent work in the early stages. Shirebrook must have been three goals up at least at the interval. Binns (two) scored for the winners, and Wade for Frickley.