Home Sports Football Midland League Results – Christmas Day & Boxing Day – Heavy Defeat

Midland League Results – Christmas Day & Boxing Day – Heavy Defeat

27 December 1928

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Thursday 27 December 1928

Yuletide football attracted splendid crowds. Over 45,000 people witnessed Sheffield Wednesday’s game with Manchester City at Hillsborough on Christmas morning, although there were no trams, this and Sheffield United’s match with Manchester United yesterday drew approximately 35,000 enthusiasts.

After the turmoil comes the reckoning. Sheffield Wednesday have consolidated their position as leaders of Division 1, and now have an advantage of five points over their nearest rivals, Derby County and Blackburn Rovers. Wednesday won easily enough by 4 – 0 on Christmas Day at home, but Manchester City yesterday excelled themselves at Main Road and after a magnificent game, Wednesday had to be satisfied with point. Allen scored his side’s two goals. The Sheffield centre has now scored 24 goals and is joint leading goal-scorer in the First Division with Halliday of Sunderland.

Sheffield United Still Rising.

The sensation of the festival was provided by Liverpool, who, going down to Burnley at Turf Moor on Christmas Day by 3-2, ran riot yesterday in the return match at Liverpool and won by 8—0; the second biggest win of the season in the First Division.

Sheffield United are rising steadily and their win by 6—1 over Manchester United yesterday put a better complexion on their goal average. Johnson has now scored nine goals in five matches, and the team 11 in three. The last-named is to be noted in conjunction with the fact that Cardiff City, who won at home yesterday for the first time for three months, have scored only nine goals in their last 15 matches, and Manchester United 12 in their last 13 games. Both Manchester teams are now in dangerous waters.


Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Thursday 27 December 1928

Midland League.

There were some a meritorious feats in the Midland League on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Clubs met on the home and away principle, and, as a result, duel wins fell to the credit of Denaby United, Mansfield Town, Rotherham United Reserves, Scunthorpe United, and Gainsborough Trinity.

Three thousand spectators yesterday saw Denaby United add another to their list of South Yorkshire doubles, when they defeated Mexborough 2 —1. Mexborough scored after twelve minutes, Higginbottom (E.) kicking the ball over Speight’s head before that player could get back after punching out a previous clearance. After twenty-nine minutes Denaby gained penalty for “hands.” Turner’s shot was stopped Ward, but Jones dashed in and netted. In the second half Jenkins headed splendid winning goal from Windle’s centre. Jenkins and Clegg, Denaby, and Vollans, Mexborough, were outstanding, as were the goalkeepers.

This On Christmas day Denaby won 1 – 0  at Mexborough, Green scoring the only goal

Mansfield beat Shirebrook 2 on Christmas Day, and yesterday won 3 —1 at Shirebrook. There were 1,500 spectators. Shirebrook were without Mercer and Kennedy, both injured, Bowater and Gregory deputising. The first half was evenly contested, but close halftime Mansfield broke away, a and from what appeared to be offside position Cook opened Mansfield’s account. A

Shirebrook played with ten men in the second half. Barlow being injured. Kerry and Cook added goals for Mansfield, and Bowater, after shooting wide from two glorious chances a, netted for Shirebrook.

Rotherham Reserves, who, at home Christmas Day, beat Loughborough Corinthians 3—2, beat them 4—1 at Loughborough yesterday. The match was contested at an excellent pace, and for the first thirty minutes Loughborough had all the play, and only fine display of goalkeeping by Atter, and good work the backs, kept them from scoring. A remarkable change came over the game after this, and Davies completed the “hat trick” end Pears added a fourth for the visitors. Rotherham excelled both in attack and defence. White got the home goal.

Trinity’s “Double.”

 Worksop Town, beaten 2- 1 home, did not trouble Gainsborough Trinity much in the return match at Gainsborough on Boxing Day, and they were again beaten by 3- 0. Trinity scored twice before the interval through Myers and Hamihon. After the interval Myers scored Trinity’s third goal. Trinity pressed hard all through the game, and only smart goalkeeping Best saved Worksop from a very heavy defeat.

In the return match at Wath, the Athletic quite outclassed Wombwell and won 5 – 1. The score the previous day was one each. Wombwell scored first through a penalty converted by White, but Wheatley equalised with a 25-yards’ free kick, as he did at Wombwell on Christmas Day. In the second half Wath scored further goals through F. Moore (2), Skeels, and Hargreaves.

Staveley  were beaten 3 – 0 by Chesterfield on Christmas Day, but yesterday home drew one each. Chesterfield obtained the lead through Machent, who headed in after Edwards played back from Betton. Cowan missed chance for the visitors with only the goalkeeper to beat, and following period of wild kicking, Pearce equalised.

Frickley Colliery, who beat Hull City 4 – 0 at home on Christmas Day, got another point from the Humbersiders yesterday, drawing 2—2. Duncan and Nelson scored for the home side, and Wade (two) for Frickley.

At Newark, before a record crowd, the gate reaching £175, Newark Town drew 1 – 1 with Grantham Town. The home team attacked at the start, and after 25 minutes Stevenson headed a centre from Keetley past Walker. Spaven equalised after 37 minutes from a well placed corner-kick. In the second half Newark were without McKenzie, injured, and Grantham had the better of the exchange*, but Healam in the Newark goal excelled. The teams had drawn the previous day.